Please read the Guidelines below and click button at bottom to submit your 2020 entry.
NOTE: NEW FOR 2020:
Our world has unmistakably changed. Our public attention has shifted toward new urgencies (COVID, racism, policing, economic inequality, media influence, disinformation, echo chambers, personal freedom versus public good….)
We are looking for new and unperformed compositions written in response to the current situation in the world—emotions, fears, humor, hope evoked, etc.
We also encourage submissions that may explore new modes of performance with social distancing or alternate technologies in mind. (Full performance notes are requested for works exploring alternate performance methods.) Nobody is sure when in-person group acoustic performance can safely return, so innovative approaches are welcome.
The Camerata Composition Prize is open for entries to composers anywhere in the world each year, with winners announced a few weeks after the deadline for submissions. Our distinguished jury of composition and choral conducting faculty at the University of Cincinnati’s College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) evaluate the anonymously submitted scores.
The quality of submitted works has risen dramatically over the last decade, with many of our selected winners already enjoying distinguished composition careers. We encourage composers of all ages, backgrounds, and musical genres to submit! It’s a treat for us to read through the creative works sent each year, and we look forward to the possibility of recording or performing works by talented living composers.
- One score per composer per entry.
- Anonymous submission. Your name may not appear anywhere in the submitted score!
- Past winners may enter again after one year off following their winning submission. (Ex: a winner in 2002 would be eligible to enter again in 2004.)
Entry fee of $35 must be paid online through PayPal (no checks). The fee covers administrative costs of running the prize program. The fee must be received by the submission deadline for your work to be considered.There is NO ENTRY FEE for 2020!
- Mixed choir (SATB), maximum divisi SSAATTBB.
- Unaccompanied. Please provide a piano reduction. Recordings are welcome but not required. Please submit any recordings in MP3 format.
- Texts may be sacred or secular.
- Letter of permission from copyright owner absolutely must accompany any submissions using texts not in the public domain (yes, we check all texts!) No exceptions.
- Duration: no longer than 5 minutes.
- Entrants may be of any nationality and age.
- For 2020, we are looking for pieces that have not yet been publicly performed. Also, pieces should not have been previously published.
- We consider a work ‘published’ once its score is available in print or electronic form for payment through any outlet.
$500 First Prize. A Second Prize ($250) may also be awarded when merited. However, the jury also reserves the right to not award any prizes when submissions are not deemed of sufficient quality or conformance to guidelines.
Depending on season programming and time commitments, the Camerata may also perform winning compositions live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. Alternatively, the Camerata may choose to record a winning composition, in which case the winning composer would be provided with a digital copy of the final recording.
Please submit any questions you have about eligibility or details of your entry to Ellen Harrison, Jury Chair at email@example.com. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any technical issues with your submission or payment.